This is a question many people most likely have after taking that first step and hiring a personal injury lawyer after they have been injured in a car wreck. You may be thinking, I have hired the lawyer, now what happens? Hiring a personal injury lawyer to help with your case is a crucial step in getting the outcome that is most beneficial to you; however, there are more things you can do to make the meeting with your lawyer to be even more successful and to make the process as smooth as possible. Here are some of the more common things you should do to help your lawyer be able to make your case as successful as possible.• Tell your lawyer everything you know or can remember
- Tell your lawyer everything you know or can remember. Talking about your accident may be embarrassing because you may feel like you did something wrong but it is important that you remember to be as honest with your lawyer as possible and to tell them everything you know concerning your injury case. You are protected by attorney-client privilege, so your lawyer has to keep everything you share with them confidential. It is important to tell your lawyer all the details and events from your car wreck so they can take the facts and figure out the best way to help you. Also, this way they do not find out any information later that can be used against your case.
• Keep all medical appointments and follow your physician’s orders
You have obviously suffered an injury if you have contacted a personal injury lawyer, so it is important for your health and well-being as well as for your case if you keep all your appointments and do all the things the doctor tells you to do. If you don’t, this can impact your case in a negative way by showing the other side that you must not be that injured. If they do not think you are seriously injured, they will be able to deny that you need any compensation.
• Only talk to your lawyer about your case
If you have been hurt in an accident, it can be tempting to want to tell your friends and family all about your case. However, your insurance company is trying to find reasons not to give you the compensation you deserve and they will try to twist the things you say and do in their favor.
• Avoid social media websites like Facebook and Twitter
It can also be tempting to talk or post about your injuries and case online. However, the insurance company will try to use anything you post or share as a way to prove that you are not as injured or suffering as much as you claim. Posting pictures of you dancing with friends or going a trip while you have an injury claim, may impact your case in a negative way.
- Provide your personal injury lawyer with any documents they may need for your case
Since you have been injured, there will be paperwork and medical documents that you need to fill out for your case. It is important that you provide your lawyer with these documents as soon as possible so they will be able to meet deadlines for your case and keep your case moving along as smoothly as possible. If your lawyer is not able to receive these documents on time, this will delay your case and also any compensation you may receive.
- Cases can take time, be patient
When you are injured in an accident and need compensation to pay your bills, being patient and waiting can be difficult. It is important to remember that building a case can take time because there is paperwork to do, tests to be performed, and investigating to do in order to prove that you need compensation for your claim. Your lawyer will try to make the process go as easily as possible, but if they do not have time to do all the work that needs to be done, you can lose valuable compensation that you need.
• Ask questions
Cases can be confusing and complex, that is why you hired a lawyer to help you. If you do not understand something, ask them. They are there to help you and guide you along the way. It is okay to ask questions or ask for updates. It is important that you know what is going on with your case.
• Trust your lawyer
This can be difficult to do when you are injured and you are counting on compensation to help you. However, your personal injury lawyer has the knowledge and experience that is needed to help you. It is important to trust and to listen to your lawyer. They may ask you to do or not to do something in order to help you have the best outcome for your case.
If you have been injured in a car accident, then you should contact one of our experienced personal injury attorneys with the Higgins Firm. We will work with you to get you the compensation you deserve.
Contact us online or call 800.705.2121 for your free consultation.