In recent years, we all have heard about school shootings and violence in schools and on campuses. These reports have affected everyone across the country, including the residents of Tennessee. Security measures have been taken on campuses to help protect the students and staff, but there are always things you can do to help protect yourself against crime. Here are some tips to help make you more aware of crime on your campus and how to better protect yourself and your friends from it now and in the future.
The first thing you should do is go online or ask a school official what there plan is in case of emergency or crime. It is helpful to know where you would need to go, or what you may be asked to do in these situations. Check for the following to make sure your campus is well prepared for emergency and crime situations:
• Classroom door locks are secure or have been modified for better security • Video surveillance is in place around the campus (i.e. cameras that are monitored regularly)
• Controlled Access (i.e. electronic key cards and codes)
• Mass communication (i.e. phones and internet in every classroom)
• Emergency drills held often • Campus security group or committee with a plan of action
If you feel that your campus or school is lacking security measures, it is very important that you speak up and let someone know about it. Talk about it in a student group, or go to a school official or even the campus security.
If you are ever in an emergency or crime situation, here are some tips on what you can do:
• Try escaping even if its through a lower level window • Lock yourself in a room (if you are in there with the criminal shut off all the lights and duck down)
• Scatter yourself around (this may distract the criminal and make shooting more difficult • Use a cell phone to call 911 or text someone for help when possible
It is important that you feel secure and safe within your school and that you know what to do in case of an emergency or crime situation. This may just help to save your life and the lives of people around you.