Hiring a personal injury lawyer to help with your case is a crucial step in getting the outcome that is most beneficial to you. Here are some steps you can take to make the process of working with an attorney go as smoothly as possible.
- Tell your lawyer everything you know or can remember. Talking about your accident may be embarrassing because you may feel like you did something wrong, but it is important that you be as honest with your lawyer as possible and to tell them everything you know concerning your injury case. You are protected by attorney-client privilege, so your lawyer has to keep everything you share with them confidential. Any information you don’t disclose and comes to light later could be used to undermine your case.
- Keep all medical appointments and follow your physician’s orders
You have obviously suffered an injury if you have contacted a personal injury lawyer, so it is important for your health and well-being as well as for your case if you keep all your appointments and do all the things the doctor tells you to do. If you don’t, this can impact your case in a negative way by showing the other side that you must not be that injured. If they do not think you are seriously injured, they will be able to argue that you don’t need any compensation.
- Only talk to your lawyer about your case
If you have been hurt in an accident, it can be tempting to want to tell your friends and family all about your case. However, your insurance company might try to find reasons not to give you the compensation you deserve and use the things you say and do in their favor.
- Avoid social media websites like Facebook and Twitter
It can also be tempting to talk or post about your injuries and case online. However, the insurance company will try to use anything you post or share as a way to prove that you are not as injured or suffering as much as you claim. Posting pictures of you dancing with friends or going on a trip while you have an injury claim, may impact your case in a negative way.
- Provide your personal injury lawyer with any documents they may need for your case
Since you have been injured, there will be paperwork and medical documents that you need to fill out for your case. It is important that you provide your lawyer with these documents as soon as possible so they will be able to meet deadlines for your case and keep your case moving along as smoothly as possible. If your lawyer is not able to receive these documents on time, your case might be delayed, along with any compensation you may receive.
- Be patient if your case take a long time
When you are injured in an accident and need compensation to pay your bills, being patient and waiting can be difficult. It is important to remember that building a case can take time because of the paperwork, tests and investigations needed to prove that you need compensation for your claim.
- Ask questions
Cases can be confusing and complex, if you do not understand something, ask. Your attorney is there to help and guide you along the way.
- Trust your lawyer
Your personal injury lawyer has the knowledge and experience to help you. It is important to trust and to listen to your attorney. They may ask you to do or not do something in order to achieve the best outcome for your case. Ask for explanations if something is not clear and then trust that your lawyer is making recommendations based on his or her knowledge of the law.
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact one of our experienced personal injury attorneys with the Higgins Firm. We will work with you to get you the compensation you deserve.
Contact us online or call 800.705.2121 for your free consultation.