Nursing Home Choking Lawsuit Results in $2.35 Million Awarded to the Estate of Victim

According to a recent nursing home neglect lawsuit, a fifty-six year old man who was in a wheelchair, had type I diabetes and early stage dementia who had also suffered from a stroke like condition, was eating in the dining area of the nursing home when he started choking on a golf ball size meatball. His medical condition however, made it clear that he should have not been given that size food because he had problems swallowing.

The lawsuit also states that there was only one staff member in the dining area at the time of incident and that they did not know the Heimlich maneuver. The staff member wheeled the man forty feet to a nurse’s station which made the food get stuck even deeper into the man’s throat. When a nurse tried unsuccessfully to remove the food, an” ambu bag” was used to force air into the man’s lungs. Then the staff finally called 911 twelve minutes later but the man had been deprived of oxygen for too long. He was pronounced dead later at a hospital.

Tennessee residents and people all over the United States place the people they love in the care of nursing homes and other health care facilities every day. They expect that they people they care about will receive proper medical care and attention. However, many nursing homes are understaffed and improperly trained and this can lead to neglect and personal injury for your loved ones. If someone you care about has suffered from neglect or personal injury after being in the care of a nursing home, then you should talk to a Tennessee nursing home abuse lawyer as soon as possible. They will work with you and help to make sure you receive the compensation you need. Contact us online or call us at 800.705.2121 to set up a FREE consultation to discuss your legal options.

badges